Tuesday, September 05, 2006

"if you don't quit, i'm going to leave you behind on purpose"

that's a direct quote from some sushi conversation i overheard yesterday at the pearl district art festival. i spied some really beautiful art there - i'm always in awe of the artistic folk (i'm okay with the art of wordsmithing, but not much else), that vision of something out of nothing, seeing the beauty in the mundane, it's an awesome, awesome thing. even more "interesting" were the people attending the event. it takes all kinds right? and people come out of the woodwork for a free festival and fried food, but the kicker was definitely the parenting moment quoted above. now don't think i've never thought that about anyone, b/c believe me i have. but, i was totally shocked and a little bit sad to hear a woman say that phrase to her child b/c seriously? no child needs to hear that from her mom. (that's a megan tip on parenting for you b/c i have oh-so-much experience in that area).


after that madness, i snuck into a theater to watch little miss sunshine - a movie that made me laugh so hard i literally had tears running down my cheeks. a nice close to my home improvement weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you about how parents shouldn't say those type of terrible things to their children. Once my mom said something like that to me while we are at the grocery store when I was 7 or so. Well two nights later I ran away and joined up with a carnival and you know the rest of the story. However, if my life hadn't taken that turn I would have never met you on that warm July after noon when I took your ticket before you got on the Tilt-O-Whirl. Hugs and Kisses baby!