Wednesday, January 30, 2008

oops, it was an accident. i swear.

i tried to poison my house guests the other night. it was an accident, i promise.

you see, sometimes i do dumb stuff, make mistakes, you know drop or spill things. this is kind of like that.

(Side note: my space bar is malfunctioning so i keep having to go back and fix it. it's annoying.)

anyway, here's how it goes:

i have a smoke alarm that doesn't like the steam from the bathroom, much less things like a potato baking in the oven or god forbid, the searing of a flank steak so it never shocks me when it goes off. in fact, before my house guests arrived the other day i just plain took it down. you know, safety first and all...

so, a little background...the last few times i've baked something in my oven it has smelled a little bit funny, but i don't use my oven that often (i'm more of a stove top cooking girl) so i just really figured it was lack of use - didn't think a thing of it. oh, and when the smoke alarm kept going off? well that's just typical.

fast forward to girls night: i'm cooking all these apps and yummies in the oven, just in time for their arrival, the oven's smelling super funny but that's normal so i open the window, turn on the fan, light a candle and apologize when they arrive. no biggie. they eat all the food, drink all the wine, it's a good girls night.

it's only when i'm cleaning up that i realize my grave error. this summer i got some new bbq tools for my bbq. for a long time they just sat on my stovetop when i wasn't using them b/c they don't fit anywhere, but when fall came and i stopped bbqing as much i knew they had to find a home. so, i threw them in the drawer under the oven where things like my cast iron pans and whatnot live.

after the girls leave, i handwash some dishes and get ready to put away the baking sheets in the above mentioned "drawer". imagine my surprise when i open it up to find that all of the handles on my bbq utensils have melted and my even greater surprise when i get down to the bottom of the drawer where it clearly states "do not use for storage". oops and oops.

well at least we know why it smells funny. AND thankfully my guests didn't die from toxic fume inhalation.

lesson learned.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Not sure it's much worse than when we left stuffed mushrooms in the oven after a big party. Found them days later and it was NAS-t.
xo