Tuesday, May 30, 2006

music makes the world go 'round

I spent the weekend in the company of friends, both old and new, and the beauty of song in some way, shape or form. It was the annual Sasquatch Festival in Eastern Washington. I've been going to this event every year since I moved to the west coast to get my fill of music, both well-known and up-and-coming. 6AM Saturday morning and I'm driving down highway 84 in Oregon, rocking out to my music and seeing beautiful country that I've never laid eyes on. I managed to meet up with all of my Seattle-based friends at a rest stop off I-90 outside of Ellensburg, WA. Four cars wagon trained their way deep into a wildlife preserve and we had the fortune to camp at the same spot we'd inhabited two years prior - a grouping of our tents up on a ridge overlooking Quincy Lake. What a glorious way to wake up each day! The weekend's big kicker came in the form of grape-sized hail pelting us for 30-45 minutes on Saturday afternoon. We're dedicated and committed fans, so we just sat there and took it waiting for the shows to continue. Other than that, it was a beautiful time filled with beautiful people - makes you glad to be alive.

I met yet another new friend, a musician and a good one at that. She's set to play in Portland in a few weeks and once I've seen her live, I'll introduce you to her sounds. If her music is anything like her personality, you'll find she touches you deep down, understands you even though she doesn't know you and remains sultry and sexy while performing on stage. Try it Mikey, you'll like it.

No comments: