Thursday, May 18, 2006

the traveler

I have been to Seattle and back twice since Saturday! What?! First, a Saturday excursion to visit somebody's "mother" for Mother's Day. A delightful dinner - a little drunk, brunch by the pool and a sunburn from poolside poker. All in all, a good trip with someone else's family. Days by the pool remind me of home. Sitting on my parents big backyard deck eating breakfast, drinking coffee - they don't serve mimosas at my house for Mother's Day. Isn't it funny the little things you notice and maybe miss? I missed my mom on Mother's Day, but I suppose that's fair since it was her day and all. Speaking of travelers....she's off on a grand adventure in South America.

My second trip was completely unexpected. I knew I needed to go back to Seattle sometime this week, but didn't know if would be hours after I'd returned to Portland. I found out Monday afternoon that I needed to be in Seattle on Tuesday for an early morning meeting, so I hopped on a plane and up I flew - another quick, but good trip.

I love Seattle. I consider it my home and my heart flutters everytime I enter the city, see the skyline. If you have a place you call home, then you know what it's like to arrive there. In my two trips this week, I saw the skyline zero times. I itch for the skyline, the smell of sea air, the quaint little neighborhoods, water everywhere and all the things that make Seattle my home. It's a difficult city, it beats you down, makes you question yourself - ask anyone who's moved to Seattle as an adult about the difficulty of making friends in that city. It hates you. And then, things change and one day it loves you, it embraces you and it makes you miss it.

I've spent most of my adult life looking forward to what's next. When will I move again, when will I start a new job, when will I get a new car, clothes, pet, whatever. Always travelling from place to place, job to job waiting for the next thing. Soon I'm going to stop that kind of traveling and focus on traveling places I want to travel, places I've never been, maybe see some people I haven't seen in awhile. Soon, I'm going to go home. To my home. To Seattle. I don't know when or how, but I know I need to go back. Some people say they left their heart in San Francisco (there's definitely a piece of mine there), but my heart belongs to Seattle.

No comments: