Thursday, May 11, 2006

your body is a wonderland*

I've spent a lot of time this week thinking about body image and the thing that I came up with? I'm pissed! I can't think of a single female in my age group (myself included) who hasn't had some type of body image issues. In fact, I think most of us have battled some level of eating disorder and no one thinks that they're pretty anymore. Oftentimes, I'll catch a glimpse of myself in passing and think how thin that person is only to realize I'm looking at myself and make note that I never think that at all. This week I learned that someone I know took fairly drastic measures to change her body. A secret, somewhat major surgery and she's back in it. Why do we do this to ourselves? Why do we allow the media to tell us what we should look like? No one who's apple or pear shaped is accepted anymore - it's stick thin or you're out. I'm just as guilty as the next person of judging a person based on their looks and weight, but I'm scared that changes are simple and it just takes money. What about changing what's going on in your mind and just being healthy - running and skipping and doing what makes you feel good?

I don't know the solution, but I know it makes me angry that all of us are being consumed by our own bodies. My body is not a wonderland and it probably should be!

* Thanks John Mayer for the title to the post.

No comments: