Sunday, July 16, 2006

reunion ramblings

i've been out of pocket for the last few days taking a quick jaunt to CO for my high school reunion. Let me preface this by saying that I never, ever thought I would consider attending my high school reunion. I was over high school about 1.5 years before I graduated - couldn't wait to get out of there, move on to the next thing, meet the next people and leave the misery of adolesence and high school behind. So when our class president (who was a great pal in high school - in fact he had a crush on my in junior high which we reminiced about last night) called me out of the blue about a year ago to talk about reunion planning i didn't quite know what to say. i've kept in touch with one person i went to high school with and she occasionally tells me what other people we knew were up to.

in the past year, i've talked to the class pres, Chris, a number of times as he and his wife had there first baby, checking in about this and that - we talk for just a few minutes every few months. so, as the reunion got closer i figured i had absolutely nothing to lose by going to events where i knew nary a soul and just seeing what happened.

imagine my surprise at showing up at the first event friday evening, dreading what might occur and actually ENJOYING myself. connections with people who i haven't seen in 10-12 years, enjoying their company, being awed by their successes, families and achievements. a mixer led to drinks at another bar with 20 or so classmates and a night out until 4:30AM which i probably haven't done since college. reunion events have been jam packed all weekend. i've spent more time with these people in the last 3 days than i did in probably all of high school, made/refound some great new connections and friends. and this afternoon at a late brunch after last night's continued debachery i was sad to say goodbye to them.

here's to pleasant surprises and some new/reestablished friendships.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested